Wednesday 20 March, 10am - 1pm
This is an exciting time to visit the Old House Project, as repairs to the exterior of the building are being completed. Come and learn more about the expert repairs being carried out to bring this sleeping beauty back to life as a family home.
On this guided tour, Project Manager Jonny Garlick will show you the incredible progress we’ve made so far and share some of the challenges we’ve overcome along the way. You’ll also get to see our contractors, Owlsworth IJP, at work. This is a rare opportunity to visit a live working site and see heritage experts in action!
These open days are for anyone with an interest in old buildings and traditional building skills, including old buildings enthusiasts, professionals, and local people interested to know more about what’s happening at this special site.
You will learn
- The history and significance of the building and its connection with nearby Boxley Abbey
- When and why we bought St Andrew’s Chapel
- What conservation and repair works have been carried out to the building so far
- What work is left to do
- Learning and training opportunities at the site
- Limited parking is available nearby. The closest train station is Maidstone, approximately 10 minutes by taxi
- This is a working site with no catering available, but you are welcome to bring your own food and drinks
- There is a portaloo and handwashing facilities on site
- Please wear sturdy shoes and warm clothing
- We reserve the right to cancel if we have fewer than three people registered. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel, you will be informed at least 24-hours in advance
About your guide
Special Operations Manager and 1996 SPAB Scholar, Jonathan Garlick, is a chartered building surveyor who project manages the SPAB’s repair projects and leads on the Old House Project.
Please note that this is a working site and construction work will be in progress throughout the day.
- Visitors will need to take care as they tour the site
- The ground is uneven in places
- Seating will be limited
- The building and surrounding area is dusty and muddy in places
- There may be loud construction work happening
Anything we can do to make this event more accessible for you? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All bookings are subject to our Terms and Conditions
Image credit: The Old House Project © Daniel Bridge