Tuesday 15th June 2021, 10:00 - 17:00 (BST)
FULLY BOOKED - please sign up to the waiting list.
Join the SPAB and flint experts Chris Eadie and Duncan Bain, for this one-day practical course providing an introduction to flint working techniques and the repair of traditional flint walls.
An introductory / intermediate level course, suitable for building owners or professionals / CPD to develop practical skills; craftspeople seeking to work with flint; general interest.
- An Introduction to field flint style;
- Discussing sourcing materials and appropriate lime mortar selection;
- A walk around a downland farm discussing Field flint structures, their construction and how to repair;
- Practical repair lesson applying what has been learnt to flint wall in need of remedial work;
- Discuss knapped flint work;
- Discuss development of knapped style through ages;
- Demonstration of knapping skills followed by chance to create some architectural knapped flint pieces.
This course is run by founder members of The Flint Wall Company Chris Eadie and Duncan Bain. With 35 years of experience between them they have become two of the country's most respected flint specialists. Working and consulting on large scale conservation projects and contemporary one off builds for both the National Trust and Historic England, their work has been recognised and commended by RIBA.
Over the last 10 years they have worked on projects such as Canterbury Cathedral, working with Architects and conservation professionals from the planning stages through to practical completion.
They view their craft as a continuation of an ancient tradition. The particular properties of this unique stone and its use in English vernacular architecture continues to fascinate them.
On this course they share their love and knowledge of flint, from architectural knapping to the basics of repair and conservation.
This course will be held at Housedean Farm in Lewes, which is within the South Downs National Park between Lewes and Brighton in East Sussex. We do not provide accomodation as this is a one day course. Please communicate directly with Housedeam Farm campsite if you require accomodation: www.housedean.co.uk
Accessibility: please contact the SPAB before booking to discuss any special access requirements.
LEWES, BN7 3JW
|Course fee||£ 95.00|
Course website filters
Event website filters
Event website information