Historic Finishes Masterclass: Survey and Repair of Historic Interiors
Wednesday 14th July 2021, 09:30 - 17:00 (BST)
Boxley Abbey and St Andrew's Chapel, Boxley, Maidstone
Course Tutors: Kristian Foster, Phillipa McDonnell, Hesaan Sheridan
This one day course will outline the methods for surveying and analysing interior historic surfaces, provide a summary of issues of toxicity, and investigate suitable repair approaches to historic surface finishes. Using the SPAB's Old House Project as a case study, this course will combine lectures, demonstrations and hands-on activities to provide delegates with a clear understanding of how to approach the preservation and repair of historic surface finishes.
The course aims to provide the following learning outcomes:
- To understand the types and characteristics of internal wall finishes in historic buildings
- To understand the types of survey used to assess the condition of historic surface finishes and to identify common issues and types of decay
- To develop an understanding of the potential toxicity of surface finishes within historic buildings
- To develop an understanding of suitable approaches to the repair and preservation of surface finishes in historic buildings
Combining lectures, site visits, and practical demonstrations, the SPAB masterclasses are designed for those who are professionally involved with buildings (e.g. architects, surveyors, engineers, planners, builders, contractors, craftsmen and women). The masterclasses are recognised for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC). Certificates of attendance are available for delegates.
This masterclass will be led by the following specialists:
- Kristian Foster, Architect at Mal Fryer Architects and SPAB Scholar
- Phillipa McDonnell, Architectural Paint Researcher and Conservator with Lincoln Conservation
- Hesaan Sheridan, Managing Director of Heritage Testing Ltd
Refreshments and lunch will be served and covered within the course fee. We aim to finish the course for 5pm.
Personal Protective Equipment will be available for delegates to use if they do not have their own. All equipment will be sanitised before use.
In accordance with Goverment Guidelines, all delegates and staff will adhere to social distancing measures. Face masks will be provided for all delegates and will need to be worn at all times whilst on site, unless you are exempt.
Booking Terms & Conditions
Accessibility: please contact the SPAB before booking to discuss any special access requirements.