Golden Meadow Mill

Golden Meadow Mill

Watermill

A large four storey watermill which was registered as being ‘newly built’ in 1816. The mill stands within a group of buildings that includes the former Thrashing Mill building, miller’s house, blacksmith, ropewalk, dovecote and pigsty. All apart from the mill building have been converted into private dwellings. Although not currently working, the machinery is largely intact.

Location

Grid reference:

SC266680

Town/city: ISLE OF MAN
Postcode: IM9 1TF
Geocode: @54.07895513, -4.65193748 Open in Map

Just north of Castletown, off Alexandra Road. Across the steam railway line at Mill Road Crossing, opposite ‘S&S Motors’ on Alexandra Road.

Contact

Do you own or look after this mill? Contact us

Opening Times:

The mill is not regularly open to public, however it may be possible to organise a visit by prior arrangement - see contact details below. 
Usually open for tours during Heritage Open Days in October. 

National Mills Weekend opening times:

Possibly, by prior arrangement.

Additional Information:

The mill is of the Manx ‘Town Mill’ type, and was built on the outskirts of Castletown, when the town was the island’s capital, and was one of the largest slate roofed buildings on the island at the time. There has been a mill on the site since at least 1511, as evidenced in the Manorial Roll. The present mill building ceased work commercially in the 1970s, when it was used for animal feed. 

Although not currently working, the machinery is largely intact, including fanners, whizzers, oat rollers, four millstones and a kiln room. There are two large waterwheels, both derelict, which were powered from a large millpond and millrace, both remaining, which took water from the Silverburn. The mill was restored in the 1980s, and briefly run from a Fordson Major tractor engine. 

Jacob O'Sullivan (manager): 07938 569334

www.facebook.com/goldenmeadowmill