Sawmill and Corn Mill at Castle Ward

Sawmill and Corn Mill at Castle Ward

Watermill

Two mills - A 2-storey working corn mill, originally a tide mill, built in the early 1700s, and last worked commercially around 1920. Restored to working order 1991-2. The complex houses a kiln, thresher, winnower and two pairs of millstones. The mill operates on Sunday afternoons. The second is a 19th century sawmill, preserved but not working. Open to view in stable yard.

Location

Grid reference:

J 572 494

Town/city: Strangford
Postcode: BT30 7LS
Geocode: @54.3723116, -5.5835721 Open in Map

Seven miles NE of Downpatrick, 1.5 miles W of Strangford village on A25.

Contact

Do you own or look after this mill? Contact us

Opening Times:

House & Mill 12.00 - 17.00 from 17th  March to October, daily. Farm, & Stable yard from 10.00 daily.  Grounds open daily all year, 10.00-17.00 (to 20.00, April to September). Corn mill operates on Sundays, Easter to September, 14.00 - 16.00. If closed at other times the key can be picked up at the reception in the Stableyard.  See also web site for more details.

National Mills Weekend opening times:

Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May, 10.00 -17.00.