10 September 2019, 09.30-16.30
The SPAB are thrilled to be partnering once again with Historic Royal Palaces to bring this NEW one-day masterclass on the selection and procurement of bricks suitable for the repair of historic brickwork, using the current repair work to Apartment 39 at Hampton Court Palace as a live case study.
Combining lectures, site visits, practical demonstrations and hands-on workshops, these masterclasses are designed for those who are professionally involved with buildings (e.g. architects, surveyors, engineers, planners, builders, contractors, craftsmen and women). The masterclasses are recognised for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC). Certificates of attendance are available for delegates.
This masterclass will be led by Emma Simpson - a brickwork conservation specialist with over 20 years of knowledge and expertise in this field.
Lecture (via case studies):
- brick selection in the conservation contex
- approaches to brick replacement
- brick matching and procurement
- managing brick selection on-site
- repair options for historic brickwork
- philosophical issues in approaching large scale repairs
- discussion and examination of live projects at Hampton Court Palace
- a scaffold tour of the Apartment 39 project
- a tour of the completed Barrack Block Phase 1 project
Practical 1: Surveying a Wall
- identification of different brick types
- properties of density, porosity, hardness
- looking at colour, texture, size, shape
- looking at a range of different brickmakers and the importance of their early involvement in a project.
- how to convey the characteristics and properties of existing bricks
- producing a useful data sheet to use when placing orders
Practical 2: Replacing Bricks
- choosing the correct brick
- bedding techniques
Please note: delegates will need to be prepared with steel toe-capped footwear and suitable clothing; all other PPE will be provided on the day.
Accessibility: please contact the SPAB before booking to discuss any special access requirements.
East Molesley, SRY KT8 9AU
|Course fee||£ 195.00|
Course website filters
Event website filters
Event website information